In this position, Project Managers work closely with our sales and estimating team, engineers, clients, and architects to manage the day to day operations of a project from start to finish. Project Managers ensure construction project specifications are followed and the work is completed on schedule and within budget. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with internal project team (engineering, field and shop personnel) and external vendors to identify and resolve any project relevant issues.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ANALYSIS AND PROBLEM SOLVING
- Analyzes, interprets and plans the most effective and cost-efficient way of meeting project specifications by considering: budget, schedule, personnel and technical project requirements
- Estimates the cost of materials, labor and equipment associated with change orders
- Identifies and responds appropriately to any issues that affect the project
- Allocates cost for the project within the estimated budget, monitors budget to meet estimated cost and reviews re-estimates with Operations Manager monthly
- Reviews shop and fabrication drawings with Engineering to gain clarity and then reviews drawings with Field Superintendent to ensure understanding and fulfillment of project specific requirements
- Coordinates job sequence with engineering, shop superintendent, and field superintendent to make sure work is completed in order and on time.
- Communicates job sequence with contractor and resolves logistical issues with other trades.
- Establishes and maintains project schedules and logs (RFI’s, Change Orders, etc.)
- Prepares/Revises/Completes project specific documentation: Means & Methods, Submittals, Change Proposals, Pay Requests, letters, memos, reports etc.
- Generates and distributes timely reports on material orders
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENTS
- Manages vendor scope/schedule within established project requirements
- Prepares and negotiates RFI’s to minimize cost and scheduling impact
- Communicates status and resolves any issues between General Contractor, outside vendors and internal teams
FLEXIBILITY AND RESOURCEFULNESS
- Checks coworkers material take-offs to ensure accuracy
- Applies knowledge of current building practices on all projects
- Maintains knowledge of all internal and GC specific software programs to schedule, monitor, track and report on assigned projects
- Ensures the proper setup of project schedule, monitors schedule and resolves any delays to ensure timely completion according to requirements
- Tests various materials to confirm compatibility
- Demonstrates basic understanding of system loading/calculations, tolerances, etc.
- Determines and documents site planning logistics
- Makes regularly scheduled job site visits to determine progress of the job, ensures all quality and safety requirements are being met and resolves any project related issues with the field personnel
- Encourages feedback from the Shop, Field, Engineering and Quality Assurance to ensure quality and ongoing continuous improvement
- Participates in various cross-functional project meetings with Sales, Engineering and Project Superintendent including: Project Kickoff, Contract Review, Systems Design Review, Team Status and Post Mortem
- Generates site specific safety plans with Field Superintendent; identifies and responds to job site violations
- Complies with project checklist of tasks to ensure departmental consistency in workflow from start to finish
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Construction Management or related field – OR – 4+ years of construction management experience preferably in the glazing and/or glass industry.
- Prior experience as a Project Manager or Project Coordinator
- Ability to identify problems, establish facts, collect data, draw valid conclusions and ensure problems are solved and do not reoccur
- Capable of expressing thoughts, ideas and technical information and resolving conflicts
- Must be able to communicate effectively with construction managers, architects, engineers, field and shop personnel
- Work well under the pressure of time constraints and changing expectations
- Experienced in reading and analyzing construction and project management documents e.g., building plans and specifications, contracts, safety codes and budget sheets
- Recognize basic engineering and architectural principles in structures
- Manages projects and motivates individuals and teams to achieve maximum efficiency
- Experienced in managing projects, schedules and budgets in various software applications (MS Project, Excel) and willing/able to learn new software tools and methods.